“Whatever has come to be has already been named, and it is known what man is, and that he is not able to dispute with one stronger than he.”
– Ecclesiastes 6:10, Bible.
It is basic human instinct to be curious about concepts of nature, our existence and the events occurring in one’s life. We often wonder about whether there exists a predetermined fate and is there a purpose for us being on earth in this human form. Many believe in destiny and its power, while others don’t pay much heed to its existence and instead believe in making their own. Destiny has various biblical references. It is the set of events and plans already formulated to happen in our life; set by the supreme power. We are just playing the roles assigned to us. Destiny in itself is a strong word. It is the pre-configured fate. Our daily life demonstrates various small examples of destiny. Destiny is the only answer to all the how’s, why’s and what’s that have happened, are happening or will happen in our life. In short it is our destination.
According to a proverb, “One meets his destiny often in the road he takes to avoid it”. A person can never be sure of what next he is going to come in terms with. He often wants to go against the setup of nature and decides upon choosing a path which is least probable to cross paths with destiny. But what is meant to be is to be. Destiny comes to play when least expected. Destiny is a framework of plans already woven for a person. As it is said, Throw a lucky man into the sea, and he will come up with a fish in his mouth. Destiny, thus is a path pre-assigned for you to reach your destination.
Destiny, Purpose and Your Future are all sides of a same triangle. They are interlinked and mutually co-exist to shape up your life. They push you through the most unlikely situations and darkness of failures. Destiny does not work in favor of all men; not always. It has a grey shade to itself for some.
“Existence is a strange bargain. Life owes us little; we owe it everything. The only true happiness comes from squandering ourselves for a purpose.”
– William Cowper
I am sure you must have occasionally caught yourself wondering about your purpose; the purpose of you being a human; the purpose of you being still alive. Once a man went to a dental clinic. While waiting for his appointment, he read a wall hanging which said “If you think that you have served your purpose on earth; You should know that if you are still alive, your purpose on earth has not finished.” Life is a battle and it does not need a purpose; it itself is its own purpose. Rather than searching for a purpose in life, you should walk on the path meticulously and your purpose will come around one day. Your purpose should always be your supreme duty. Purpose can only be attained by walking on the high road which takes you to self-control and true concentration of thought. The only mantra that will help you in the way towards serving your purpose is ” Fear God and Work Hard.”
“Never let the future disturb you. You will meet it. if you have to, with the same weapons of reason which today arm you against the present.”
– Marcus Aurelius
As a child, I use to endlessly dream about my future. I had self-proclaimed visions of my future. I was always curious about what would I look like in my early 20’s, when will I find the love of my life, what career will I settle down with and the most important question that always crossed my mind was Will I ever live that long to see all these things happening to me. One day I finally realized that my obsession about knowing my future is just ruining my present, it is no way that this will change what will happen to me in next 10-20 years. That was when I quit worrying about what will become of me and instead willing my present to the fullest. This isn’t my picture alone, there are hundreds to thousands of people out there who worry about their future often forgetting that they have a present to live and enjoy. Never let the worries of future torment your present. Every new day is the future. Remember, One day your tomorrow will be your today.
Embracing your destiny is to accept the way your life is meant to be. It is about leading a path happily chosen for you and work in harmoniously with its rule to glorify your eventual fate. Everything in life is fixed and planned. For instance, it is already decided who will be your spouse, no matter what path you choose, no matter whatever way to choose to avoid him; Ultimately you will face it; you will face the real fact of who was always meant to be for you. Every second of your life is predetermined right from your birth to the death. The place and family you are born to, the school you will go to, the person who will be best friends with, the people you get to meet, even see, everyday. Have you ever thought that why is it that you see a particular police officer at a junction and not the other? It is just a random observation. What I mean to say is that it is just how it is meant to be. The way your life ends is also fixed. Now you may not know how you will die. Today you might fear dying of old age but instead you may just die in an accident. Those will last moments of your life, when you will realize that it was all futile fearing old age and you wasted all your happy moments fearing death.
“He that is born to be hanged shall never be drowned”
WHAT IS THE PURPOSE OF YOUR LIFE?
It is a philosophical question to ask. Purpose of one’s life has always been a matter of great theological and scientific importance ever since history evolved.
One’s potential and purpose of existence can be served by critically analyzing oneself. Realization and Achievement are important. It is necessary to realize one’s ideal and ethics. It is important to seek biological perfection and wisdom. To do the right thing is must. Instead of craving to learn the meaning of life, a person should focus on living it blissfully. Life is a complex concept, looking for its meaning can make you lose interest in it, which in turn distracts you from serving your purpose. Be happy with what place you are destined to be in. It is important to feel the power and happiness of life.
It is more important to know why we are here instead of searching for why here only. Purpose is what defines our life and gives it the dimensions. Everything that is done or said has a purpose; it should always have a purpose. Deeds without a purpose are hollow. Being aimless leads us astray.
Future.. What is the future? How do you define it? We all know that our destinies and purposes are set because we have to reach a significant future. Future is what we see as a time in life that is bound to happen. We take future as force that draws us to itself. We are working and yearning for a better future. Is there really a future that exists ? Of Course, future exists. It is how you see it what makes your future.
Future is not only the time that you see after a span of ten or twenty years. Future is a time that never breaks its bonds with the past. Every past was once a future and every future will be a present someday. This minute that I am breathing is my present, the next that has to come is future. Now Afternoon is my present, Morning was my past and the night is going to be my future. The next second, minute, hour, day, week, month and year, even generation is a future. So do you still think that future is a time that will come after a long present state?
We are all future fearing people due to which we make our present suffer. Make our present suffer is homologous to making our purpose suffer. Life is not only about serving a purpose for a better future. It is about making your purpose important in every phase of your life – be it past, present or future. For a happy future all you need to do is follow the dreams of your heart and never look back at what is left behind.
For a bright future you need to have a sunny present. As Kahlil Gibran said,” Yesterday is but today’s memory, and tomorrow is today’s dream.” So to have a dream you ought to have a today. Dont let your future aspirations hamper your present and its purpose. Be happy and never fear what comes next. No amount of remorse and regrets can undo the past and no amount of stress and worrying can help us change the course of our future. So quit worrying.
We have always been involved in an unextinguishable struggle to know our future. In the process we have often neglected our present. Little do we know that this present is the real deal. If we have a happy present only then we can move ahead towards a joyous future. Think about the future but don’t fear it. If you stop thinking about it you might not even have one. The balance is what is important. You need to walk with your purpose on your shoulders taking the present as well as future with you. You cannot undo your past. But you can always learn from the mistakes and rectify the present for a graceful future.
“The future is made of the same stuff as the present.”
– Simone Weil
START EXERCISING POSITIVITY
“Never underestimate the valuable and important difference you make in every life you touch. For the impact you make today has a powerful rippling effect on every tomorrow.”
You have to exercise and keep a few things in mind if you really want to work with your destiny. These points are for two sections of people. The first section consists of people who believe in destiny and it being predetermined; while the second section include people who believe that they are masters of their own destiny. The following points will help both the sections to come in terms with their destinies in their respective ways.
- Value positive attitude. It is the greatest virtue.
- Remember,Your destiny is in your hands. It is your walk. Ask yourself what you want. Be aware about yourself.
- Chalk out all the things you do well. Make a list of your talents. Work upon improving your negative traits and cultivate more positivity in your character.
- Make sure you know about what things challenge you and what are your fears. It is very important to manage and get rid of the fears that hold you back from being a strong and fearless person.
- Do activities that make you happy. If you like to dance for fun, Get up and do it now. If cooking is your thing, don’t waste a single moment and go cook. It is important to have fun and make yourself happy. Being happy serves your purpose of being alive.
- The people you love and admire should know how you feel about them. Take sometime to tell them how you feel. Do it today. Tomorrow never waits.
- If there is something you always wanted to do, but couldn’t because you thought it was crazy. Well.. then get crazy. Do it right away. Find reasons why you want do it and then just do it.
- Take pride in things that you have achieved. It is very important to acknowledge and feel happy about the things you have accomplished in life.
- Learn a new language or continue your favourite subject. Recreation is equal to being happy.
- Do you like to read in free time? What would you like to read? ask yourself these questions and be aware of your life skills.
- Career is the top most priority. What is your dream job? Find it and do it. Put yourself through tricky situations and try your best to come out successfully. This is important.
- When you were kid,what were your best memories and what did you want to be when you grew up. Cherish childhood memories and hold them close to your heart forever.
- Make someone happy today. Donate a book. Help an elderly women cross the road. Give sweets to a poor child. Tell your mom you love her often. Making others happy will give you immense inner satisfaction. But do it from the heart only when you really want to it. Doing it only for the sake of doing it and not feeling the compassion can put you at odds with your karma.
- Make up after a fight. If you are in a fight with a friend, spouse, parent or a lover, or anyone for instance. Break the ice and end the fight. Take the first step and go the good to yourself. It will bring peace.
- Take courage to accept your flaws and failures. It will never make you diminish instead will help you grow and tackle failures gracefully. It leave cleanse your mind of al the stress and tensions.
- Picturing your future and visualising it is important. Realise what you want from life and how you want to achieve it. Choose the right path and it will come around one day. Being crystal clear about what you want is crucial.
- Pray and be thankful to God for the things you have in life. Everyday before going to bed say thanks to the Lord for the sweet life and the great day he gave you. Thank him for this life he has given to you.
- We all have a reason to live, this reason is our purpose. Purpose does not stand in front of you all the time. You need to analyse yourself so as to understand your purpose of life so that you can start working at it from the very moment.
- Make sure what you want to achieve in life is original and is born of your own will. The purpose that you have set for yourself in life, should not be influenced by someone’s purpose.
- Being positive about life is very important. It is must to see the bright side of everything that happens in your life. Never forget that every grey cloud has a silver lining.
- Make your life purpose driven and not purpose controlled.
- It is important to understand the fine line between purpose and destiny. You are destined to serve a purpose on earth. Your purpose may determine your future but not your destiny.
- Be ready to face the adversities of life. There is always a bright future at the end of a dark road. Today you may have to through ample of pain but when this dark phase will pass it will leave you smeared with happiness of all kinds.
- Never lose hope while serving your purpose. The path you have chosen today was meant to be chosen by you. Embrace it and work towards enhancing your future.
- Destiny is a combination of various factors. Some of these are predefined while others are defined by us. Some part of desging our destiny is in our own hands. We may make it or break it.
- Never blame destiny for the wrong that happens to you. Learn to adapt to the critical situations and practice towards finding solutions to the most unfavourable problems.
- Whenever you feel defeated, rise up and say to yourself that, You can and you will achieve the purpose of your life.
- Last but not the least, Don’t just sit back and read these points. Implement them in your life. The actions form the basis of your destiny.
Destiny is what we choose to be. Purpose is what makes us yearn for a better life and future is the apex where we have to reach. It is hierarchical model and fate is at the base. Fate is the life that is given to us so that we can polish our destinies properly. Destiny is never tragic. It is the path that can be tragic for a while.
So hold your purpose close to your heart, search for your destiny and design a wonderful future for yourself.
“Never let the odds keep you from doing what you know in your heart you were meant to do.”